Tuesday, September 28, 2010

New Bus Rider Concludes KC Buses Ain't So Bad!

Nice column from a reader at the Star about his first time using the MAX.

Initially I dealt with the fear that the bus would be dirty, noisy and crowded with “people who rode the bus.”
What a pleasant surprise to be proven wrong. If only I had opened up my commuting horizons earlier.
A window into the lives and habits of people in my own neighborhood, as well as the wide variety of those in neighborhoods between my own and the office has blossomed.
I had a short conversation this weekend with a gentleman who used to live downtown, but now lives in the suburbs telling me about how he used to ride the bus to attend Kings games at Municipal, but he would "never ride the bus now" for it was far too dangerous. When I asked him the last time he rode the bus, he said it was decades. So how did he know it was dangerous?
I encourage everyone to at least give the bus a chance, particularly when arriving at some of Kansas City's larger events. Yes, it could be more convenient than it is now, but any preconceived notions about lack of safety, smelly riders, or being hassled by poor people will be pretty quickly dismissed. And you may find avoiding dealing with bad drivers to be a welcome experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment